Since its founding in Oxford, Mississippi, in 1873, Delta Gamma has become an international fraternity built upon the motto “Do Good”. Members live this motto daily through philanthropy work, a commitment to sisterhood and an appreciation for others. The bond of Delta Gamma sisterhood brings together young women of various backgrounds and gives members the chance to meet people they may never have met.
The primary purpose of Delta Gamma is to foster high ideals of friendship, promote educational and cultural interests, create a true sense of social responsibility and develop the finest qualities of character. Delta Gamma is for hope, for strength and for life.
Sigma chapter of Delta Gamma at Northwestern University was founded in 1882, only five years after the fraternity’s installation. As one of the first Delta Gamma chapters, Sigma strives to be the best they can be and live by the ideals of the fraternity. Delta Gamma was the first sorority to have a house in the NU sorority quads. In the 1920s, chapter members raised money for construction by running a tea house in their spare time called “the Anchor Inn.”
Today, the house, located on Emerson Street, is a second home to over 100 college women. DGs are active on campus in many different activities including, but not limited to, A&O Productions, 85 Broads, ISBE, Dance Marathon, Club Lacrosse, SHAPE, SEED, and Northwestern University Conference on Human Rights. Sigma chapter was the proud recipient of the national Patricia Peterson Danielson Award as well as many NU Greek Awards in 2009: PHA Outstanding Membership Development, PHA Outstanding Academic Programming and were finalists for Outstanding Community Service, and Chapter of the Year. Many Delta Gamma members are members of the Greek honor societies: Order of Omega, Rho Lambda, and Gamma Sigma Alpha.